Friday, September 18, 2009

Almost "Hump Day"

Well - another week of treatment is finished. 3 down; 3 to go. Hump Day for chemo is Sunday, radiation hump day is Monday. I am excited to be mid-way through this experience...but thinking about future treatments is still somewhat frightening.

I had my 2nd chemo treatment this past Tuesday and I was very concerned that the side effects would be much worse than the first treatment. I was right and I was wrong. The side effects were definitely more pronounced this time around, but I haven't been laying on the couch all day every day dealing with them either.

I think the bigger issue for me this week is the effects of the radiation. Since they are radiating my esophagus and my stomach, there is now quite a bit of irritation. I am having trouble drinking water as it burns on the way down; I am starting to cough more, which I'm sure is from the irritation; I never really feel like eating...so I don't -- which isn't good. I have to find a way to eat better or else I'm gonna have to have IV nutrition. I'm pretty sure that will be pretty icky!

I'd say I'm looking forward to next week so that I can be on the mend, but since the most difficulty seems to be coming from the radiation I don't think I'll get much relief.

A little worried about the swine flu --- oops, sorry - the H1N1 virus. The vaccine isn't going to be out until early to mid October and my treatments are supposed to end on Oct 9th. I have to find out how concerned I will need to be about getting any kind of vaccine since my immune system will be compromised. The Dr said I may not have to get a flu shot...which I think would be awesome. I'm trying to stay away from crowded places. I only go to Sacrament Meetings on Sundays and don't stay for the other 2 hours of church. Ken says there are just too many kids and too many chances to get sick....so we go for the first hour and then get on home. I'm usually pretty 'done for' by then anyway. I usually end up with a pretty good headache and am in a down mood by the time Sunday afternoon rolls around.

I think I'm really beginning to learn some important things for my life going forward. I have been trying to keep my heart and mind open to what it is that Heavenly Father wants me to learn during this process. It's funny how some of the lessons begin in a very self-centered way and then, if I'm open and really want to learn, the lesson can enlarge from there. I'll have more to say on this later as I begin to make more sense of what I'm feeling and what I think I'm learning....stay tuned.

Almost time for bed...which is actually pretty funny since I've had about 2 hours of nap time today!!!

1 comment:

  1. Linda, I'm so sorry the effects are increasing, you were so amazing when we were down there I was hoping that was an indication of how things were going to go. Denial I know. Had a greeat time with you and think about and pray for you each day. Love little sis

    ReplyDelete