Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Day of Treatment

Well, I've survived the first day of treatment....so far. I had chemo this morning and then went on to Radiation therapy. Didn't feel a thing at either appt. Today's radiation was longer than it will normally be as they had to be sure everything was lined up properly and the radiation was focused accurately. The treatment itself was only about 5 minutes long...

Tomorrow is another radiation treatment. I'll have 28 in all -- 27 remaining.

They say the cumulative effect of both the radiation and the chemo is what eventually wears you down...not looking forward to that at all!!!

So, I've been scoped, scanned, poked, prodded, mapped and tattooed. But, I am so glad things have finally started...that means I am closer to recovering. I'm looking forward to the holiday season to achieve full recovery from everything - chemo, radiation and surgery.

Ken and I are planning join my roommates from my freshman year at BYU for a reunion....a 30 year reunion!!!....in January of next year. We (the roommates) all met at Deseret Towers in the fall of 1979. Some days it seems like just yesterday. I was only 16 when we all met. I've seen Sharon and Marian recently and Laurie lives in our old ward in Sandy. I haven't seen LynAnn or Bonnie for ages! The other great thing is this reunion gives me something to look forward to...another positive for the future.

Been reading a whole lot, too. I am really enjoying the 2 most recent novels by Daniel Silva - 'Moscow Rules' and 'The Defector'. I highly recommend them both. Mom is reading 'Moscow Rules' now and seems to be really enjoying it. I have only 60 pages left of 'The Defector'. Ken is reading one of the earlier novels, 'The English Assassin'. We plan to buy all of his novels....luckily the older ones are in paperback.

Another great read is The Great and Terrible series by Chris Stewart. Deseret Book is having a sale on the 6-book set. If you haven't read this series, Ken and I highly recommend it!!!!

I have also started crocheting my niece, Bethany's afghan. I still have to finish putting the finishing touches on my niece, Kirstie's afghan, and my niece, Evie, wants an afghan as well. It looks like I have plenty to keep me busy. And, if I run out of things to do, my nephew, Jeremy, has picked out the afghan he wants as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm here! Thanks for letting me come on the journey. I actually went to school with Chris Stewart, and his wife Evie - we are all class of 78 from Sky View High! (I believe he was our Senior Class President actually!) He's an amazing person and Evie is beautiful inside and out. Our class reunions are fun with him there. Keep reading his great books - he has a wonderful Christmas one also. I'm a cheerin' for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing okay. Now you know what to expect even though the effects haven't hit yet.
    Another great book that I just read is the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. She is not an LDS author, but I really enjoyed the book.
    Good luck in the next week.

    ReplyDelete