Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday - 5 days and counting....

Okay - I start treatment on Monday, 8/31 and not on Tuesday, 9/1. That's good because I am really antsy to get things moving along. The sooner we get started, the sooner I get done.

I had a wonderful conversation with the Dr Monday evening. He is so wonderful - Dr Whisenant. Anyway, I had called about a Phase 3 trial going on up at Huntsman Cancer Institute to find out if I should be part of that or not and it turns out it isn't the right trial for me. But....Dr. W. said they just ended a trial last year that seemed to work at least as well as the conventional treatment if not better. At least, it worked better in the 5 patients they treated with it. I like it!

The difference in the treatments is the chemo. In the conventional treatment I would have chemo M-F the first week and then again 4 weeks later. In the NEW treatment, I have 24/7 chemo for all 6 weeks in lower doses which reduces the side effects. I'm all for reducing the side effects. So --- while I'm sure it still won't be easy, I'm looking forward to not having violent side effects.

I found out what a 'picc' line is yesterday and it about sent me into orbit. Okay, it did send me into orbit. I thought it was just a really cool, long-term IV. OH NO! It's a deep vein IV that threads to an artery near the heart! I about passed out! It's funny the things that send us over the edge. You'd think I'd be more freaked out about the chemo and radiation and not the IV.

I'm liking my short hair cut and I got the blonde put back in it last night. Thank you so much to my wonderful hairdresser, Michael Hovey, for rearranging his schedule yesterday to fit me in. He's been doing my hair for almost 20 years and I consider him a good friend. I'll have to get pics of me pre-treatment and post them.

So - another good day so far. Chemo class this afternoon and probably a stop at Dillard's for some makeup.

2 comments:

  1. Yuck, that IV does sound horrible. Sometimes I think it is better if we don't know too much! I know it is also good to know as much as you can.
    We will be praying for you and thinking about you as you go through treatment. I can't imagine what a hard thing you are facing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means get the makeup. That always makes me feel better! :>)

    ReplyDelete